In our fast paced world, it can be hard to make time for breakfast before we rush off to work or school. Choosing to be intentional about what we eat for breakfast can help us keep our energy levels high throughout the day and avoid mid-day indulgences in coffee and sugary snacks that might result in a big energy crash and impact our daily performance.
How can we eat to help our brains firing at full power throughout the day?
A diet rich in protein helps the brain create important neurotransmitters – the highways where messages can be sent to the rest of your body at lightning speed. Protein can balance out levels of serotonin that help your brain to regulate emotion control. Make sure you are getting adequate protein in your daily diet to boost brain functioning and concentration with these quick protein-packed breakfast ideas:
- Why is it a good choice? Carbohydrates balanced with protein can help keep energy levels high and brain focus sharp throughout the day. Salmon provides important brain-boosting Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids.
- Why is it a good choice? Quick and easy on the go and packed with protein and antioxidants to fuel your day. Blueberries can improve memory and cognitive function, and sprouted flax meal offers a powerful punch of Omega-3’s important for brain health.
- Why is it a good choice? Spinach is one of the most nutrient-dense foods. Not only can boost your immunity, but it can reduce inflammation and protect the aging process for your brain. This recipe is paired with eggs and cheese which are high in protein!
- Why is it a good choice? Making a casserole is an easy way to meal prep for your week. If you are considering making protein a vital part of your morning routine – make this on Sunday night and you will set for the week! Adding eggs as a source of protein in the morning can assist in balancing out glucose levels first thing in the morning and keep you fuller for longer!
- Why is it a good choice? Oats fight fat and cholesterol that can cause brain issues. Walnuts contain DHA, an Omega-3 Fatty Acid which can help build brain tissue, protect brain health, and decrease cognitive decline.
A balanced breakfast might include some lean protein, healthy fats like avocado, coconut oil, and chia seeds, and whole grains like oats or a seedy bread. Opt for good quality organic grass-fed meats to avoid toxic pesticides and chemicals.
Want to learn more about how to maximize your brain power to achieve your greatest life? Call us at 630.969.3233 and learn about how Brain Training can help.
For more articles like this please sign up for our eTips by liking us on Facebook and giving us your email for our Newsletter.